PE and Sport Premium
What is the premium and how does it help?
The Primary PE and Sport Premium is a government-backed funding initiative aimed at helping primary schools across England improve their physical education and sport provisions. The premium is designed to help children get an active start in life, supporting primary schools to improve the quality of their PE, physical activity/literacy, and sport provision so that pupils experience the benefits of regular exercise. This results in pupils becoming healthier both mentally and physically, to improve behaviour and academic achievement
PE and sport premium funding
The Primary PE and Sport Premium is ring-fenced and must only be spent on physical education and sport provision in schools. The Primary PE & Sport Premium is given to improve the provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools in England. For our school this equates to £16000 plus an additional £10 per pupil from year 1 to year 6 totalling approximately £21,000.
All pupils leaving primary school physically literate and with the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport.
The funding aims to achieve improvement in all areas of PE, from the standard of physical education to introducing health focused physical activities and after school sports.
The key objectives of the premium are focussed on achieving self-sustaining improvement in the quality of PE and sport in primary schools through:
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport.
- The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – kick-starting healthy active lifestyles.
- The profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement.
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils.
- Increased participation in competitive sport.